Tracy Letts, author of Superior Donuts, is a talented actor and playwright. William Friedkin writing for Vanity Fair (2014), writes,”he is that rarest of theatrical birds: a playwright who can act. With the movie of Tracy Letts’s Pulitzer Prize–winning August: Osage County hitting theaters, William Friedkin thanks heaven that its author is nothing like his dramatic creations.”
Letts was born in 1965 in Tulsa, Oklahoma. His parents are Bilie Letts (best selling author) and Dennis Letts (professor and actor). So one can say Letts has writing and theatre in his blood. Like many young actors, Letts left home at an early age to work as a waiter and telemarketer … that is, to become an actor. But luck and talent was in his corner, since at the age of 20, he moved to Chicago and worked for the Steppenwolf Theatre Company (2009), where he is still an active member today.
Brilliant, funny, and insightful, Letts has a shelf full of awards including:
- In 2008 he received a Tony Award, a Drama Desk Award, and the Pulitzer Prize for drama for August: Osage Count.
- 2013 A Tony Award for playing George in the revival of Albee’s Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf.
Letts is simply inspiring, and to help us all out, he offers hints on how to live the creative life. Enjoy!
Works Cited and Consulted:
- Chicago Ideas Week. (2014). Tracy Letts v2. Vimeo.com. Retrieved 06:02, April 7, 2015,from: http://www.vanityfair.com/unchanged/2014/01/tracy-letts-august-osage-county
- Friedkin, William. (2014) “Tracy Letts.” Vanity Fair. Retrieved 06:02, April 7, 2015,from: http://www.vanityfair.com/unchanged/2014/01/tracy-letts-august-osage-county
- Tracy Letts. (2015, February 9). In Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Retrieved 06:02, April 7, 2015, from http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Tracy_Letts&oldid=646292943
- Photo credit: “Tracy Letts at 2013 Toronto Film Festival” by GabboT (original file)RanZag (cropped file) – cropped from File:Tracy Letts and Carrie Coon at the premiere of August- Osage County, Toronto Film Festival 2013 -a.jpg. Licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0 via Wikimedia Commons – https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Tracy_Letts_at_2013_Toronto_Film_Festival.jpg#/media/File:Tracy_Letts_at_2013_Toronto_Film_Festival.jpg
Superior Donuts will be running May 8-31, 2015. Go to http://www.taghawaii.net or call 808-722-6941 for tickets. Seats are going fast already! This should be another great show.